Thursday, May 26, 2005

Info on Tennessee BSL! Please Read!

I know you are extremely busy as rescuers, but PLEASE
READ and forward to other rescuers or adopters!!!


I am a resident of Sumner County, Tennessee. Currently
my family and I own a boxer (adopted December 2003)
and an American Staffordshire Terrier (adopted October
2004).

I have always been opposed to breed-specific
legislation (BSL) pertaining to any because it
demonizes the entire breed of dog instead of targeting
the individual dogs (regardless of breed) and owners
that actually cause problems. But at the same time, I
never thought I would have to deal with that, since
most communities are better educated on the matter and
adopt "dangerous" dog ordinances that are objective
and take into account the actual behavior of
individual animals, whatever their breed, as the
American Veterinary Medical Association and many other
professional organizations (see links on main page)
recommend.

Boy, was I wrong. Mr. Roland Mumford, a commissioner
in Sumner County, recently proposed a resolution to
the commission that would form an ad hoc committee to
study animal control issues and "vicious" dogs, in
particular. This resolution, which in and of itself is
fine, passed on May 16, 2005, and the committee is in
the process of being formed. The problem, however,
arises from Mr. Mumford's statements that he is "going
after the pit bull species." In his vision for this
ordinance, owners of what he deems to be "pit bulls",
and ONLY "pit bulls", will have to register their dogs
with the county as being "vicious," regardless of the
dog's history of behavior. No other dog owner will
have to register their dogs. Also, owners of what he
deems to be "pit bulls" will have to carry liability
insurance on their pets and will have to muzzle their
dog if it is off their property. This is totally
unfair and a violation of the owner's 14th Amendment
right to due process and equal protection under the
law.

"Pit bulls" are not the only dogs that have been
targeted by BSL. Rottweilers and Dobermans are,
traditionally, the other breeds most targeted by BSL.
But if there is not a state law on the books
prohibiting local governments from enacting BSL, then
ANY breed can be targeted.

In the course of conducting research to (1) counter
Mr. Mumford's erroneous statements regarding "pit
bulls," and (2) show that BSL does not work and is a
violation of the owner's 14th Amendment rights, I
discovered that there are currently 13 states that
prohibit local governments from enacting BSL. I want
to make Tennessee the next state on that list. If we
are going to make Tennessee the next state, we need to
band together as dog owners and rescuers, regardless
of what breed we personally favor, to fight this
injustice that discriminates against good dogs and
responsible owners.

I have created a web-site with a lot of information -
http://www.stopbslintn.tripod.com. Please visit it, sign
the petition, and contact your local state
Representative or Senator and ask that they support a
law prohibiting local governments from enacting BSL.
Contact information is located on the "How You Can
Help" page. You can also e-mail me for an e-mail list
that includes ALL state Senators and Representatives.
Let them all know that dog owners and rescuers support
legislation prohibiting BSL!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My white American pit bull, snickers was stolen In February. He was my best friend and the best dog I've ever had. I put up signs all over Nashville and Antioch in Tennessee. I wish someone would give him back. I just want to know if he's ok!!!! I taught that dog how to speak and I taught him sign language. Pit bulls are very smart and can be the best dogs you could ask for!!!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is stationed at Fort Campbell KY, we are going to move to TN. Now I am scared to death of BSL. I am from OK, and we fought it here, can nothing be done in TN? APBT owners have to stand and fight together. I wonder how supporters would feel if someone threatened a member of their family I hope they never have to experience that kind of stress, heartache, and personal anguish. I don't want to have to worry about this when I move, but it is becoming a recurring problem for us.
Jelena Newell
fallenridn@valornet.com

Also because of the move, having a baby and my husbands deployment, I need to find homes for two rescue pits. They are wonderful dogs, spayed and crate trained. I would like to adopt them out through an organization to ensure they have responsible owners. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please Help Stormy!

Click HERE to hear Stormy's tale!

She was left, abondoned, sick, alone, fearing death....luckily she was found, rescued and is now on a road to recovery!!!

Please help Gypsy!!

Another Dog Fighting VICTIM!!!!

Purchase a Magnetic Ribbon HERE!

Please, if you have or know of a link that belongs here...

Let us know!!! Resources are invaluable!

Shy Dog Wear

Shy Dogs come in all shapes & sizes!

Proceeds from Shy Dog Wear sales will go to a non-profit organization for dog rescue/care.

If you know of an organization that could use the funds, email me the info.

Email me a pic and I will add YOUR dog to either design for FREE!!

paaar.jpg (20922 bytes)
This Pagans Against Animal Abuse site belongs to Angie Swihart .
Next Prev List Join
Graphics for this ring from Witch Way

NetFlix
NetFlix DVD Rentals